The next great farm family in our June Dairy Month blog bonanza is the Kuehnert family of Fort Wayne. What? There’s a dairy farm in Fort Wayne? Absolutely! (Don’t miss Sarah Kuehnert’s Turtle Cheesecake recipe at the end!)
The Kuehnert family dairy farm was establish in the 1890s, so the farm is now operated by the fifth and sixth generation of farmers.
Brothers Alan and Stanley Kuehnert run the farm with the help of their wives, Cindy and Carol, Alan and Cindy’s sons Nathan and Andrew, and Nathan’s wife Sarah. The family milks 200 registered Holstein cows and creates six jobs in the local community. The Kuehnerts are involved in showing their registered Holsteins at the local, state and national levels.
The farm is open in the fall for a “Fall Festival” — a corn maze, farm tours, calf petting, food, hay mountains and other fun family-friendly activities. Make sure to like Kuehnert Dairy Farm on Facebook to get all the updates!
- 4 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 25 individually wrapped Kraft caramels (approx. half a bag), unwrapped and melted
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 Tbsp cold butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- Chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped pecans
- 12 whole pecans and caramel ice cream topping
- Place a greased 9" springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil.
- Securely wrap the foil around the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients and cut in butter until crumbly.
- Press into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325º degrees for 12 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugars until smooth.
- Beat in 1/4 cup of flour, cream, and vanilla.
- Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.
- Remove 1 cup of batter to a small bowl; stir in melted chocolate until blended.
- Spread on crust.
- Unwrap and melt caramels.
- Stir in remaining flour and pecans.
- Spread over chocolate batter in pan.
- Top with remaining cheesecake batter.
- Place springform pan on a large baking pan.
- Add 1" of water to larger pan forming a water bath.
- Bake at 325º for 70–90 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull.
- Remove springform pan from water bath and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Place chips in a small bowl.
- In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil.
- Pour over chips; whisk until smooth.
- Spread over cheesecake.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Refrigerate overnight or until completely cooled and set.
- Garnish with whole pecans and additional caramel topping.