Bold Blue Mac & Cheese
Serves: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 cloves garlic
- 16 ounces cavatappi pasta or penne macaroni
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 12 ounces medium Cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
- 6 to 8 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1 ½ cups), divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 4 slices prosciutto or cooked bacon, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub inside of 13×9-inch baking dish or individual ramekins with garlic then butter.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in boiling salted water until al dente; drain.
- In a large, heavy skillet, over medium-low heat, sauté shallots in butter 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Do not let mixture brown.
- Gradually whisk in milk and cream; cook, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Reduce heat to low; add Cheddar, 1 cup at a time, stirring until melted.
- Add 1 cup blue cheese, whisking until melted.
- Taste sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, fold sauce into pasta, stirring until combined. Turn into prepared dish. Top with bread crumbs, remaining blue cheese and prosciutto.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.