Decadent Macaroni and Cheese
Serves: Makes 15 side dish servings/8 main dish servings
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces small-curd cottage cheese
- 16 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (4 cups), divided
- 16 ounces queso Chihuahua, shredded (4 cups), divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 30 to 31 butter crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stockpot, cook macaroni in 1 gallon boiling salted water 5 minutes; drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, combine whipping cream, butter and cream cheese.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth.
- Remove from heat. In a large bowl, stir together macaroni, cream mixture, sour cream, cottage cheese, 3 ¾ cups Cheddar cheese, 3 ¾ cups queso Chihuahua, salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, pulse crackers and remaining Cheddar and Chihuahua cheeses until crumbly. (Or, finely crush crackers and combine with cheeses.)
- Turn macaroni mixture into a greased 13×9-inch baking dish; top with crumb mixture.
- Bake 30 to 45 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot.