Garden Mac and Cheese Bites
Serves: 2 1/2 dozen
- 12 ounces veggie elbow macaroni (I use Barilla with carrots and squash)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon each chopped red and green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Curly basil for garnish, optional
- In a large pan, cook macaroni in 2 quarts boiling water 7 minutes or until al dente; drain. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat approximately 30 mini muffin pan cups with non-stick olive oil cooking spray.
- In same large pan, melt butter; add onion, bell pepper and parsley; sauté 2 minutes.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Add milk; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Add Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, stirring until well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine macaroni and cheese sauce; add eggs and mix well.
- Fill each prepared muffin cup with 1 tablespoon macaroni mixture.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
- Remove macaroni bites from pan to metal rack.
- Garnish with basil if desired.
- Serve immediately, or store in refrigerator for 3 days or in freezer in zipper freezer bags for up to 3 months.
- Best served warm but also tasty cold.