Ultimate Comfort Bacon Mac & Cheese
Serves: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 10 to 12 ounces cavatappi pasta or elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons minced onion (I use purple onion)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups), divided
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 4 ounces original Velveeta cheese food shreds (1 cup)
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan, Asiago and Romano cheese blend
- 6 to 8 slices bacon, chopped and cooked until crisp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in boiling salted water until al dente; drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; add onion when butter is slightly browned.
- Stir in flour until smooth; add the milk all at once. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 cup Cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, Velveeta shreds and Parmesan blend; mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta and the cheese sauce.
- Turn into a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Top with bacon and remaining Cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes or until slightly bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.