Every year, during the first week of March, we celebrate the most important meal of the day… Breakfast! That’s right, March 6th -10th marks National School Breakfast Week (NSBW), and alongside some of our favorite health and wellness partners, we are proud to support the national initiative.
National School Breakfast Week was launched in 1989 to raise awareness of the availability of the School Breakfast Program to all children. During this week, schools put their breakfast programs on display through exciting contests and promotions. At the American Dairy Association Indiana Inc, we have a tradition of hosting the celebration of all celebrations at a local Indiana school. We always invite our friends from the Colts, community members, local officials and of course, our favorite mascot, and this year will be no different!
Over at Action for Healthy Kids, they’ve suggested some simple and easy breakfast celebration ideas:
- Decorate the cafeteria with NSBW posters, balloons, tablecloths or student artwork highlight healthy foods and the importance of breakfast.
- Invite a local celebrity to eat breakfast with students such as local athletes, news anchor, school mascot, etc.
- Do a menu makeover! Plan to serve a special item during NSBW or rename existing menu items with fun and creative names.
- Invite teachers, the principal or other guest servers to serve breakfast to students.
- Host a taste test of new breakfast items or easy on-the-go breakfast options such as smoothies.
- Make morning announcements highlighting the importance of breakfast.
- Host a family breakfast where parents and siblings can eat together in the cafeteria.
- Create a healthy breakfast bulletin board in the cafeteria.
- Reward teachers for their hard work with a special teacher breakfast.
- Bring breakfast into the classroom – for example, during math, work with students to research the number of calories they ate for breakfast this morning and graph the class’ favorite breakfast foods.
Where are we headed on Monday, March 6th?
Follow us on social media (@INDairy) for more information.