It’s Lactose Intolerance Awareness Month! If you thought being diagnosed Lactose Intolerant meant giving up your favorite dairy foods, we’ve got some great news! The amount of lactose in dairy products are not all the same and there are several choices that could be right for you. Here’s our top 5:
- Lactose Free Milk– It’s real milk, without the side effects. Enjoy the same great nutritional benefits. Give it a try!
- Lactose Free Yogurt– What? They make that? Of course! And it’s tasty.
- Natural Cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss, Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan)- Due to the steps in the cheese making process, natural cheeses have minimal amounts of lactose in them.
- Cottage Cheese– ½ cup serving of this protein packed goodness is only slightly higher in lactose than natural cheeses.
- Traditional Yogurts– They do have lactose, but the active cultures make it easier to digest. Some varieties, like Greek Style Yogurts, have less lactose in them naturally due to the way they are made.
It’s important to be aware that there are different levels of sensitivity for people who are lactose intolerant. What foods bother one person, may be just fine for the next. Here are 5 strategies for those who want to have their cake and drink their milk too :